Family Holiday Party
The family holiday party happened tonight. It was an event to behold I tell ya. I wish I drank, in fact I may at some point take up drinking, where is that Crown Royal.. Did I say it right Monkey? Cause at this point I could use some.
Where to begin.. Where to begin??? First, my nephew is married. Yes, I mean that, he is legally married. He and his wife went to City Hall last week and got married, it will be finalized this Monday. Imagine my surprise to find out my nephew J is married. I met his wife for the first time last night. Apparently they have been dating for a few months and she found out she was pregnant. His first words to her were marry me. This astounds me because in the end of September he was dating a nice Greek girl. Here it is mid-December and he’s married to a totally different girl and they’re now a family. He is 24 and she is 19. For all that seems wrong with all of this, and there is so much that seems wrong. There is just as much right. He truly loves her, not just the idea of her, not just the idea of a family, but her and they life they are beginning together. She truly seems to love him. I do not know her well enough to say she truly loves him, but from what I saw, I do see it as love.
They were making plans for their future. I wish them nothing but love, happiness and strength. He is Catholic, she is Muslim. He’s from America, she’s from Afghanistan but love still found them. My sister P said they seem to be soul mates. She said maybe she needs to go over to Syria where our great grandparents came from many years ago and find her soul mate. They are having a Catholic wedding and a Muslim wedding later on to officiate their union in both religions. I’m sure there will be more blogging on this.
Then the family Christmas party, Paul’s mother neglected to tell people that she decided it would be the family Christmas party. It was just supposed to be John and D’s birthday parties. So the ones that she told brought gifts, but the ones that she forgot to tell didn’t bring gifts because they had no idea. They thought we would get together one more time before Christmas. I love how Paul’s mother makes plans and then neglects to share with others that she changed or made such plans.
The party itself went very well. Paul’s mother made stuffed grape leaves, mint -sour cream and cucumber dip, mint-sour cream dip, two salads, one with feta one without feta. I LOVE feta cheese and she actually made the feta one especially for me. (There’s one of them there redeeming qualities.) She also made baked macaroni and cheese for those that did not eat grape leaves. I think everyone ate the grape leaves and loved them. We also had two kinds of humus, red pepper and regular hummus. All in all very good food. We would have followed it up with birthday cake but some idiot forget to bring it. (Umm that would be me!)
My niece K’s husband came with his partner (they’re police officers) and had some grape leaves and absolutely loved them. My sister P’s boyfriend D didn’t come at all because he swore my sister P poisoned him. When he said it to her on the phone, she said well apparently I didn’t do a good enough job of it. Very hard for me not to bust out laughing!!!
Paul’s mother only had one really bad incident where her face split and she screamed at J, but screamed I do mean so loud that eyes and ears started to bleed spontaneously as soon as the sound left her mouth. My niece K gave her a nasty look and I said sternly, Enough Ma! She played her oh I’m dying routine, she played her I have to be wheeled in a wheelchair routine and then bounced out to play head and shoulders knees and toes with her great granddaughter. I remarkable recovery if ever I saw one! My great niece K was absolutely adorable. The bell of the ball. She came around with a candle for us all to smell. She called me Auntie P even. SHE SAID MY NAME! The gifts were great, the food was amazing. But the best part was being with family, welcoming new family in to the fold and hearing my great niece say, Hi Auntie P, love you!!!!
Where to begin.. Where to begin??? First, my nephew is married. Yes, I mean that, he is legally married. He and his wife went to City Hall last week and got married, it will be finalized this Monday. Imagine my surprise to find out my nephew J is married. I met his wife for the first time last night. Apparently they have been dating for a few months and she found out she was pregnant. His first words to her were marry me. This astounds me because in the end of September he was dating a nice Greek girl. Here it is mid-December and he’s married to a totally different girl and they’re now a family. He is 24 and she is 19. For all that seems wrong with all of this, and there is so much that seems wrong. There is just as much right. He truly loves her, not just the idea of her, not just the idea of a family, but her and they life they are beginning together. She truly seems to love him. I do not know her well enough to say she truly loves him, but from what I saw, I do see it as love.
They were making plans for their future. I wish them nothing but love, happiness and strength. He is Catholic, she is Muslim. He’s from America, she’s from Afghanistan but love still found them. My sister P said they seem to be soul mates. She said maybe she needs to go over to Syria where our great grandparents came from many years ago and find her soul mate. They are having a Catholic wedding and a Muslim wedding later on to officiate their union in both religions. I’m sure there will be more blogging on this.
Then the family Christmas party, Paul’s mother neglected to tell people that she decided it would be the family Christmas party. It was just supposed to be John and D’s birthday parties. So the ones that she told brought gifts, but the ones that she forgot to tell didn’t bring gifts because they had no idea. They thought we would get together one more time before Christmas. I love how Paul’s mother makes plans and then neglects to share with others that she changed or made such plans.
The party itself went very well. Paul’s mother made stuffed grape leaves, mint -sour cream and cucumber dip, mint-sour cream dip, two salads, one with feta one without feta. I LOVE feta cheese and she actually made the feta one especially for me. (There’s one of them there redeeming qualities.) She also made baked macaroni and cheese for those that did not eat grape leaves. I think everyone ate the grape leaves and loved them. We also had two kinds of humus, red pepper and regular hummus. All in all very good food. We would have followed it up with birthday cake but some idiot forget to bring it. (Umm that would be me!)
My niece K’s husband came with his partner (they’re police officers) and had some grape leaves and absolutely loved them. My sister P’s boyfriend D didn’t come at all because he swore my sister P poisoned him. When he said it to her on the phone, she said well apparently I didn’t do a good enough job of it. Very hard for me not to bust out laughing!!!
Paul’s mother only had one really bad incident where her face split and she screamed at J, but screamed I do mean so loud that eyes and ears started to bleed spontaneously as soon as the sound left her mouth. My niece K gave her a nasty look and I said sternly, Enough Ma! She played her oh I’m dying routine, she played her I have to be wheeled in a wheelchair routine and then bounced out to play head and shoulders knees and toes with her great granddaughter. I remarkable recovery if ever I saw one! My great niece K was absolutely adorable. The bell of the ball. She came around with a candle for us all to smell. She called me Auntie P even. SHE SAID MY NAME! The gifts were great, the food was amazing. But the best part was being with family, welcoming new family in to the fold and hearing my great niece say, Hi Auntie P, love you!!!!
Comments