Happy Birthday to me.. NOT!
Well it was not the worst birthday I have ever had, but it was definitely not in the top ten. Before I begin my rant and whine, I have to say one thing in my husbands defense. He had not been feeling well for a couple of days prior and almost threw up on me when he got back home from picking my son up at school. With that said, I shall now begin my whine.
I spent my birthday cleaning the house. Yes, you read that right, cleaning the house. I cleaned the kitchen, living room and bathroom. By cleaning I mean with chemicals and lifting and moving things. I washed floors and all that jazz. Now both my husband daughter said don’t clean today Mom, it’s your birthday. But I wanted to clean. I needed to clean. When I get upset I can rant and rave and generally be a moron or I can put that energy in to productive things. So I choose to clean. It works better for all around me.
Well I did get this comment twice yesterday, “I feel really bad watching you clean on your birthday.” So you feel bad watching me clean but not enough to help me clean. I see how that works. But what really made me mad was as it got later in the day I said to my husband, did you forget my steak and corn? He said “oh yeah, I’ll go get it now. ” I said no thanks. Now my friends at work get this but not my hubby. His claim is, but I offered to go get it. Mine is, but I told you what I wanted to eat last week so you could get it for me, I also reminded you again over the weekend to help you out. But yet, here it is the evening of my birthday and now that I’ve reminded you yet again, NOW you want to go get it? No, it’s not the same. So he looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Now maybe I am being unfair to him, he has been ill, not the usual, this is added on top. But he couldn’t even get me a cake? No card either! No cake, no card, no steak.
Well when I was done cleaning for the most part, I sat on the couch and said, I am not cooking supper. You do know that right. Then I got up and went to the bathroom, he turned to my daughter and said will you cook supper tonight? She came in to me and asked me what I wanted and she would cook whatever it was. I’d have preferred to order out as I just cleaned the entire house. Whatever she makes is going to be messy so I said hot dogs, vidalia onions and tater tots.
Then my sister and mother couldn’t come, both giving different reasons but they’d have come together. Which is all good, just another notch in the shitty birthday day. Whatever the reason they couldn’t come doesn’t really matter, the bottom line is they didn’t make it.
But the topper was when my in-laws didn’t call. They’ve never NOT called. Seriously, they’ve never missed my birthday. I have always gotten a call from them showing me some love, asking how my day went. But no phone call. First year ever no call. I mean they do cake, soda etc.. for hubby and the kids but not me and while I have mostly gotten over that, I have always looked forward to the phone call. I mean mostly because I wouldn’t have mentioned it if it didn’t bother me a bit still. But no phone call?
So maybe I am having a whiny little pity party, but for some reason, this birthday just sorta sucked.
The good points, my brother emailed and IM’ed me a happy birthday. My friends in a special place online all wished me a happy birthday. The day before my birthday my co-workers gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers, a card and a cake. The residents even sang me happy birthday. So not a total bust, but still, the birth day itself sorta sucked.
I spent my birthday cleaning the house. Yes, you read that right, cleaning the house. I cleaned the kitchen, living room and bathroom. By cleaning I mean with chemicals and lifting and moving things. I washed floors and all that jazz. Now both my husband daughter said don’t clean today Mom, it’s your birthday. But I wanted to clean. I needed to clean. When I get upset I can rant and rave and generally be a moron or I can put that energy in to productive things. So I choose to clean. It works better for all around me.
Well I did get this comment twice yesterday, “I feel really bad watching you clean on your birthday.” So you feel bad watching me clean but not enough to help me clean. I see how that works. But what really made me mad was as it got later in the day I said to my husband, did you forget my steak and corn? He said “oh yeah, I’ll go get it now. ” I said no thanks. Now my friends at work get this but not my hubby. His claim is, but I offered to go get it. Mine is, but I told you what I wanted to eat last week so you could get it for me, I also reminded you again over the weekend to help you out. But yet, here it is the evening of my birthday and now that I’ve reminded you yet again, NOW you want to go get it? No, it’s not the same. So he looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Now maybe I am being unfair to him, he has been ill, not the usual, this is added on top. But he couldn’t even get me a cake? No card either! No cake, no card, no steak.
Well when I was done cleaning for the most part, I sat on the couch and said, I am not cooking supper. You do know that right. Then I got up and went to the bathroom, he turned to my daughter and said will you cook supper tonight? She came in to me and asked me what I wanted and she would cook whatever it was. I’d have preferred to order out as I just cleaned the entire house. Whatever she makes is going to be messy so I said hot dogs, vidalia onions and tater tots.
Then my sister and mother couldn’t come, both giving different reasons but they’d have come together. Which is all good, just another notch in the shitty birthday day. Whatever the reason they couldn’t come doesn’t really matter, the bottom line is they didn’t make it.
But the topper was when my in-laws didn’t call. They’ve never NOT called. Seriously, they’ve never missed my birthday. I have always gotten a call from them showing me some love, asking how my day went. But no phone call. First year ever no call. I mean they do cake, soda etc.. for hubby and the kids but not me and while I have mostly gotten over that, I have always looked forward to the phone call. I mean mostly because I wouldn’t have mentioned it if it didn’t bother me a bit still. But no phone call?
So maybe I am having a whiny little pity party, but for some reason, this birthday just sorta sucked.
The good points, my brother emailed and IM’ed me a happy birthday. My friends in a special place online all wished me a happy birthday. The day before my birthday my co-workers gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers, a card and a cake. The residents even sang me happy birthday. So not a total bust, but still, the birth day itself sorta sucked.
Comments