Update on Pauls mother
Update on Paul’s mother. I am back home and she is currently in a Rehabilitation Center/ Nursing home until she is safe to be home alone or until the Vascular surgeon decides she is ready for surgery. She is having surgery on the cartoid arteries in her neck. The blockage in her neck is at 80% plus. She is at an increased risk for more strokes, as if the ones that she has had already aren’t more than enough.
She is affected on the left side of her body, she is left handed. She is having her ups and downs, like one minute she can do some fine motor skills with her hand and the next, she doesn’t realize she has a left hand. Her leg will walk one minute, the next it will disappear out from underneath her. The rehabilitation center will help her with that.
The behavioral aspect of the stroke isn’t so easy to take. Especially for my sister. Working in a nursing home has given me a leg up on dealing with people that have strokes or are affected by strokes. Being obstinate is already part of her repertoire but the stroke has amplified it. My sister P likes that definition, it just fits. She is lying to the doctors, she is answering inappropriately and she is saying things that make absolutely no sense. But again, she’s always done that, it’s just amplified now.
I’ll be going down on days off and sitting with Paul’s mother to give my sister a break. My daughter has stayed down there. I’ve already missed two days of work and I really can’t afford it so I’ll have to figure out work around being there for her. Basically the plan is to let her brain heal a bit before they do the surgery.
She is affected on the left side of her body, she is left handed. She is having her ups and downs, like one minute she can do some fine motor skills with her hand and the next, she doesn’t realize she has a left hand. Her leg will walk one minute, the next it will disappear out from underneath her. The rehabilitation center will help her with that.
The behavioral aspect of the stroke isn’t so easy to take. Especially for my sister. Working in a nursing home has given me a leg up on dealing with people that have strokes or are affected by strokes. Being obstinate is already part of her repertoire but the stroke has amplified it. My sister P likes that definition, it just fits. She is lying to the doctors, she is answering inappropriately and she is saying things that make absolutely no sense. But again, she’s always done that, it’s just amplified now.
I’ll be going down on days off and sitting with Paul’s mother to give my sister a break. My daughter has stayed down there. I’ve already missed two days of work and I really can’t afford it so I’ll have to figure out work around being there for her. Basically the plan is to let her brain heal a bit before they do the surgery.
Comments