All About the Funeral Mass

I went to a funeral today for someone that was very dear and very loved. We arrived at the church which was the size of a small nation. When we went inside, there were people cleaning. Some guy we shall call Gus was washing the floor with lestoil and two or three ladies were cleaning the pews with Murphy’s Oil Soap. Now you’d think upon the arrival of the casket that they would stop cleaning? Well wouldn’t you feel silly to find out you were wrong. Oh no, these people kept cleaning.

I wanted to scream,” Lets wrap it up here people.” numerous time. But it was not my family members funeral. If they had stopped cleaning right then, I’d have recovered, but oh no. They continued cleaning for another five minutes. Even the funeral director was shocked. He tried to hide it, but absolutely could not. Then the priest came out, oh good lord they’ve hired Doogie Howser as a freaking priest. Down he walked looking all of 13 with his cute little speech impediment leading the way. Instead of the blood and body of Christ, he had a juice box and an animal cracker. Understanding a word he said was nearly impossible. Between the speech impediment and the whole mumbling thing, it made for an interesting service. I had no idea when to stand or sit. He had the ebb and flow of the Mass down well. I have to give him that.
Then as the reached the altar and the services truly began, I looked up and one of the women were up there cleaning the railing with her Murphy’s Oil Soap rag. The service was in progress. People were mourning and she was there cleaning the railing. I don’t understand this, not at all. But if you looked right, the guy was still mopping over by the door. At some point, wouldn’t common sense tell you to resume cleaning after the Mass instead of during? I would think so and I’m not an avid church goer.

Then, being as insane as I am. I looked at man in front of me when he took off his sports coat and there on his white shirt were pieces of lint from his sports coat. Three pieces of dark blue lint staring at me from the back of his shirt. I resisted the need to pick them off.
The gathering after was amazing and they made us feel very welcome. They wanted to make sure we knew, as nurses aides that cared for their loved one, that they felt were part of their extended family. They wanted us to know how much they appreciated all that we did. We made sure to let them know, he was very special and very loved.
I frown at the church and how the Mass was handled but the family handled it all with dignity and grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I don't want OnStar..

Get out of your own head.....

The First Hearing of the Heartbeat