First kids car accident

For the first time ever, my children were in a car accident. They are all okay. HJ was shaken up and very emotional. D-Man was his usual nothing bothers me self and Nick was so upset that he got in to an accident with our Pathfinder, but physically okay.What happened is they had just picked D-Man up from school, the came out of the school back on to the main roadway and as they came up on an intersection they decided to stop and let a school bus out. The lady behind them did not realize they were stopped or didn’t notice and plowed in to the back end of them, bad enough, but then confused the gas with the brake and just kept on driving in to them. Enough that the license plate is now bent in half. The trailer hitch which used to stick out a few inches is now under the back of the truck and our bumper rests almost comfortably in the back of the truck. The lady then backed up, claiming she tried to put it in park, hit the truck behind the kids, then pulled around the kids to drive away from the accident. The gentlemen behind the kids that she hit pulled around her and blocked her so she had to pull over. She had an indent of our trailer hitch in her hood.When I arrived at the scene, HJ was crying, Nick was visibly upset and Dylan was just taking it all in. I walked up to her and hugged her and I said is everyone okay? They all said yes, just shaken up. I looked at Nick and I said I don’t care about the truck. I pulled HJ back and looked her in the face and said, I don’t care about the truck. I looked over at Dylan and told him too. I said I only care about you three right now, are you sure you’re all okay? They shook their heads yes. I said what happened and they explained it. Nick told me how the lady told him that our truck was like that before the accident. Umm yeah, they don’t issue license plates bent in half. I know this because I recently got one for my car and it was not bent in half.She kept coming up to me, an elderly lady who apparently suffers from back cancer. At least that was her mantra. Over and over again we heard that. She kept saying ya know I have back cancer and why is your daughter crying? I said because she was in a car accident. Well my car looks much worse than yours. I am sorry the she is suffering from cancer. I am more sorry that she drove in to my children on their way home, I am sorry that she hit them hard enough to pop the ashtray out of the dashboard and then confused the gas for the brake and just kept coming. I kept my calm, I just kept repeating, it’s okay, accidents happen. That’s why they’re called accidents. I looked at the kids again and said, I do not care about the truck, I only care about you three. The truck is replaceable, may take us forever, but it is replaceable, you three are NOT! This happened Thursday evening. I am happy to report that here it is Sunday evening and they’re all still doing fine. HJ doesn’t want to get her license any more. She doesn’t want to drive. Dylan missed school Friday and luckily has tomorrow off. He seems okay but we’ll keep an eye on him. Nick kept apologizing till we told him if the truck is totalled we can get a new vehicle so we tease him saying you may have done us a favor. He worked the next night. This was his first accident too. It’s interesting ya know, I was really calm at the scene and in talking with the police. I was calm in talking with the woman who hit them whose license needs to be taken away in my personal opinion. Missing someone stopping, confused the gas pedal for the brake pedal and putting your car in reverse and thinking you’re in park all make me very nervous. I digress, but at the scene, I truly was calm. I calmed the kids down, I kept it all together. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to have the nervous breakdown I originally wanted to have when I got the call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I don't want OnStar..

Get out of your own head.....

The First Hearing of the Heartbeat