Sometimes life is very frustrating, like this weekend
Sometimes life is very frustrating. The past couple of days have made the mantra hit home hard. D has been sick, by sick I mean he is a fourteen year old boy that has not been eating. Now fourteen year old boys don’t ever stop eating so for one not to be eating is a huge concern. D doesn’t usually complain or ask to see the doctor. Usually he just waits for whatever to pass. Well this is week two of him feeling miserable, getting sick when he eats or drinks anything. Up half the night or all night because the pain is unbearable.Friday my husband called the doctor. Okay, first I called at 9:30 and said did you call yet? He said no, I’ll call soon. Then I called again at 11:00 and said what did the doctors’ office say? He said nothing I haven’t called yet. I called again at 12:30 and he said he did call and they gave him an appointment for Monday. Hmm Monday?? The kid hadn’t eaten in days, wasn’t drinking, in constant pain and nausea but we can wait till Monday? So I called him back and said do you mind if I give calling the doctors a try? He said sure. The nurse called me back at my work and I spoke with her. I explained exactly what was going on with D and she said this can’t wait until Monday. Umm yeah no kidding, that’s why I called back. I am curious as to why the nurse heard the exact same things from me as from my husband but came up with two different plans of action? Was my husband voice less urgent than mine? Were our tones different? Well I left work headed home grabbed my son and off to the ED we went. D got intravenous fluids and medication. They did a cat scan and blood work. Funniest part is before we left D picked up one of the cats and Rob and I told him to put the cat down because the doctor didn’t order a cat scan yet. Sent us home saying I expect to see you back in 12 to 24 hours. He swore it was the beginning of appendicitis. The pain, the symptoms all suggested it, but the testing didn’t show anything. ED doctor said to call our doctors in the AM if he was still complaining of pain and such. I did that and they said they had no appointments and to head back to the ED.
Well we were back in just under 24 hours and got a different doctor even though the original doctor was still there. Again with the IV’s, different meds, more blood work, a urine dip and an ultrasound. This time, we were told not appendicitis or gall bladder, but unspecified and to see his pediatrician on Monday.
So we head to the doctors on Monday I guess, unless he worsens. He’s actually eating a bit and had something to drink. The meds the second ED doctor gave him seem to be helping. *Sigh*
Things we did while waiting in the ED:
Played tic tac toe
Had thumb wars
read magazines
read a book
wrote notes
tried to name all fifty states, missed one OKLAHOMA had to call ED back and tell them which one we missed
Told jokes
Listened to our MP3’s on our players
Well we were back in just under 24 hours and got a different doctor even though the original doctor was still there. Again with the IV’s, different meds, more blood work, a urine dip and an ultrasound. This time, we were told not appendicitis or gall bladder, but unspecified and to see his pediatrician on Monday.
So we head to the doctors on Monday I guess, unless he worsens. He’s actually eating a bit and had something to drink. The meds the second ED doctor gave him seem to be helping. *Sigh*
Things we did while waiting in the ED:
Played tic tac toe
Had thumb wars
read magazines
read a book
wrote notes
tried to name all fifty states, missed one OKLAHOMA had to call ED back and tell them which one we missed
Told jokes
Listened to our MP3’s on our players