My nephew is staying with me..

Times are tough, just a bit. My nephew called and asked if he could come up for a visit. I said sure, I can pick you up Friday and bring you home Sunday if you'd like. He said great. What he didn't tell me is, the place where he was currently living was no longer an option for him. What does that mean? It means my nephew is basically without a home. He has no place to live. He has no money coming in, has no license and no car. Life has not always been great for him, but we all have our stories to tell. At some point, we have to pull our shit together and get on with it. No one understands that better than I do.

His share of problems start with his Mom, my sister, passing away shortly after he turned 7. Of course he found her because she had divorced his father years before due to abuse. Who gets custody? His father, who then in turn spent many years physically, mentally and emotionally abusing my nephew. We talked to the school, we talked to counselors, we talked to the police, nothing ever got done. His father could talk a good game and came out smelling like roses. Last September he found his saving grace, the woman that really loved him in her own crazy ass way, my mother passed away at her kitchen table. I won't get in to the story of how he found his friends father after he committed suicide. These are all things he's had to live through. But he kept trying to stand back up and shake it all off.

When I found out he had no place to live and no money coming in, I said come and stay awhile. His reply was, "Auntie, you live in a two bedroom apartment with all the people in your own family. You're the only one working full time." I said yes, this is true, but there is always room for one more. You are family and there is always room for family. So we stretch the ground beef a little more. We eat a bit more chicken because it's cheaper. There are no frills here. Biggest thing I splurge on is my Internet. Nothing fancy going on here. We have to go to the laundromat to do laundry. We shop where ever the sales are and we only go out in the vehicles when absolutely necessary to save gas. But we have a lot of laughter here and a lot of love. Laughter and love that I am willing to share with my nephew for awhile. While he takes a deep breath and decides where he is going from here.

I'll end with Happy Birthday to my sister PJ. This would have been her 48 birthday. He's safe PJ, rest easy.

Comments

Denise said…
That's all you can do, help him stay safe while he sorts out his life. Good for you. I wish him luck.
miwise said…
You're a kind person, Em.
Vered said…
You're so amazing for doing this.
Mr. Mr said…
Damn you really are THAT awesome.


Im going to start spending my money on lottery instead of junk food and try to win it big and hook you up with a few million :)

wish me luck
Emsxiety said…
Thanks all. He just needs time to get himself together and take a breath. We all need that now and again.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I don't want OnStar..

Get out of your own head.....

The First Hearing of the Heartbeat