I read to escape...

 I learned to read by four as I'm told. By the time I was eight I had an adult library card at the Grafton Town Library. Thank you Paul's Mothers, good call. I wouldn't just read books, I'd consume them, still do. Books were my escape from a less than pleasant life. Nice way to put it I think. 
As kids we were abused in ways that now a days you can read about, but you didn't talk about it back then. However, books gave me a way out of that life. I could see that life wasn't just about fear. Laughter and joy wasn't just something that held you over till the next wave of fear overtook you. You could actually enjoy the laugh without the underlying thought of, what will the cost be to me for this laugh, for this joy. I'd curl up on the bench my father made out of a board nailed to two old trees in our yard. I'd open the magical porthole of a book and be gone for the rest of the day. The sweet escape in to far away lands. I wouldn't hear my parents  or siblings calling to me. I was away, in a safe place, living the good life. Books were my saving grace and for that I thank them.

As an adult I still read almost constantly. Both paper books and ebooks, thanks Kindle. I don't read for exactly the same reason anymore, but I still enjoy reading. I enjoy becoming the character and escaping to far away places for adventures. I still don't always hear when people talk to while I'm reading. Okay I'll admit, there are times I've actually missed the fire alarm going off while reading. 

What this all breaks down to is this, I will never stop buying paper books. I love my Kindle, but nothing reminds me of the happiness of my youth than the smell of a book, the way the paper slipped through my fingers and my eyes consumed the world that I would claim for my own!

Comments

Maggie May said…
I will never ever stop buying books, either!!!
Emsxiety said…
I agree Maggie May, there's just something about them that you can't replace with electronics.

Popular posts from this blog

Get out of your own head.....

Monster Juice Spray pussifying our children?

Sometimes..