My son wants to join the Police Explorers

My son wants to join the Police Explorers. He informed us not all that long ago that he wants to be a police officer. It’s what he’s always wanted to be. His father was a police officer. He once dreamt he could save the world, okay maybe not the world, maybe it was just make the world a better place. Some where along the way he lost that, he pretty much hates people now. As a police officer you see people at their worst, rarely at their best. It’s why when they do see people at their best, they reward them with citizenship awards and such.
Okay maybe that sounds a little dark, it probably is but it’s not a bad thing. Because for quite a few years, my husband strived with all that he had to make the world a better place. In fact, right up until he became disabled, he still attempted to make the world a better place, he was working at a local police department. So even though he hates people, he never really gave up the childhood dream of saving the world, or at least making it a better place.
Now the dream lives on, in his son. If you could have seen the pride in his eyes when our son announced to us that he wants to be a police officer. It came out of the blue. D has never mentioned before that he wanted to be a police officer.
However, it fits. D is a very law and order type of person. A strong sense of right and wrong that he has always had even as a small child. Things have order, everything in it’s place. I can remember a time when we went to the store and a bag of pine nuts got hidden under the watermelon. We got out to the van and were putting the bags in the van and when I lifted the watermelon he freaked when he saw the pine nuts.
“Oh Mom, you shop lifted.”
“No, I didn’t shoplift D, sometimes things like this happen.”
“Well you are going back in the store to pay for them right Mom?”
So what did I do? Well I went back in to the store carrying my pine nuts, found the register I had gone through, told the cashier where the pine nuts were and paid for them. Took the receipt and handed it to my son who was waiting out in the van. He literally breathed a huge sigh of relief. Like thank all that is right in the world that my mother is not a shoplifter and thank all that is good she did not get arrested over pine nuts.
I am posting about this because tonight I printed all the paperwork he needs to move him along in to the first step towards the police department. As early as this June he could be attending the academy. Not the full time police academy, but an explorer version. Where he’ll do physical training, learn laws and all the joys of police work. He has three levels of academy, one he can attend each year and can then be accepted in to the actual police department. If he decides to go to college for criminal justice, criminology and such, he can use the explorers in his application to college.
I guess I just needed to ramble about all this, I need to wrap my head around this. I need to know it’s going to be okay. I need to know he’s going to be okay.
I’m not sure how I feel,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get out of your own head.....

Monster Juice Spray pussifying our children?

Sometimes..