Today my baby girl turned 17

My baby girl turned 17. After speaking with a friend, who asked did you allow this? And me saying I didn’t. In fact I believe I said stop it right now, but was ignored like always. I did not give her permission to turn 17. I don’t remember allowing her to become a teenager but yet she did anyway.

Today’s birthday sucked for her, although unlike her mom, she did get a cake. Two cakes in fact. What she didn’t get was any birthday cards in the mail. What she didn’t get was a phone call from anyone in her family wishing her a happy birthday. She was heart broken. I kept saying, but you have cakes. Hopefully we’ll have another party in Mass on Saturday with all the family around her that she wants there. Of course other than her Nana, no one in her family called her either. Auntie Angelfishsis never misses a birthday but yet did this year.

Gifts: From her father and I she received a Nintendo DS. From her beau Trav she received a game for her DS and something else which she won’t get until Saturday. From her brother she received a PS2 game Ghost Recon which she loves. From her Grandpa and Grandma F. she received a set of earrings, a necklace, $17 in cash and a $50 gift card to JC Penney which we promptly went to right after her party to pick up two new sweatshirts for her. Both Brooklyn Co. sweat shirts, very nice. She received a body spray set from H and B upstairs and some cash from her favorite girlfriend Patty Cake.

LiL HJ is amazing to me. She is exactly who she is and that’s that. There’s no apologies, there’s no chameleon like behavior. She is exactly who she is and has the strength and ability to be just that. She sees through the bullshit of life and sorts out exactly what’s important. Not always easy to do. She is empathetic, kind, compassionate and witty. She still hates algebra and still won’t do fractions. However, she loves to bake and uses 1/2 cups and 2/3 cups with no trouble, but can’t do fractions on paper. She still can’t tell time unless it’s a digital clock and doesn’t care that she’s 17 and can’t tell time. In fact she’s kind of proud she’s made it this long without learning it. Time is all relative Mom, is one of her favorite replies. She can do her multiplication tables which people said she’d never learn, hmm guess she proved them wrong again.

I am so proud of my baby girl, of who she is, of the essence of her. Happy birthday to my oldest child, my baby girl, my only daughter, I love you more every day.

Popular posts from this blog

Get out of your own head.....

Monster Juice Spray pussifying our children?

Sometimes..