Don't tell me The Walking Dead isn't real...
Don't tell me The Walking Dead isn't real. I don't want to hear it. What I want to hear is your plan for getting us in to Woodbury to rescue Daryl Dixon and getting us back out again. Andrea and Merle are collateral damage and they will be mourned at a later date when my give a fuck get fixed which should be next never give or take.
I am invested in this show because of the character Norman Reedus and the writers of The Walking Dead have created. Not anyone could play that role and I'm glad they chose Norman Reedus to do it. He has the hard edge of someone that has been forced to survive. Sometimes in this world, it really is them versus us. Big Brother Merle may have seen himself as the great teacher and protector of his Baby Brother as he lovingly or not so lovingly refers to him as, but it appears he did as much damage if not more than the absent parents. Seems like when you hear Daryl talk his life was better when Merle was away.
Daryl it appears was forced to grow up on his own with very little guidance. Human interaction is hard for him and those sworn to protect and nurture him in his early years failed miserably. With that comes a trust issue that I think Norman Reedus portraits with deadly accuracy. There is a vulnerable side to the toughness. The wanting to trust, the wanting to be part of the gang but the vulnerability that it entails is more than he's prepared to handle. You see how well opening yourself up to your family went never mind having to open yourself up to people you don't really know. The second season you see him blossom more and this third season he has come full circle. You could see in the second season he was becoming Rick's right hand man. Not his enforcer as Carol seemed to think, but a right hand man. A trusted adviser and dare I say it friend.
If you watch them in the third season, entire conversations occur between Rick and Daryl with just a nod of the head or a glance in each other's direction. Daryl trusts Rick and believes he is a good man. That is something that he's been looking for all his life. Yes, he followed Merle but it's because he didn't know anything different.
I look forward to the mid-season premiere in February to see what happens with Merle, Daryl and Rick. Blood does mean something, even when blood abuses you and uses you for their own means. It still means something, there's still a connection. But Rick is the brother that Daryl deserved and should have had in his life, if life were a story book.
In closing, because I have to sleep sometime, The Walking Dead is not a story book. While it's not real life, it's as close as you're going to get on television show about Zombies!
Comments